By Oliver Sacks
"An explorer of that almost all wondrous of islands, the human brain," writes D.M. Thomas in The big apple occasions publication Review, "Oliver Sacks additionally loves the oceanic form of islands." either types determine movingly during this book--part travelogue, half autobiography, half scientific secret story--in which Sacks's trips to a tiny Pacific atoll and the island of Guam turn into explorations of the which means of islands, the genesis of disorder, the wonders of botany, the character of deep geological time, and the complexities of being human.
By Edgar Lerma
To-the-point diagnostic and healing details on kidney illnesses, high blood pressure, and kidney transplantation
CURRENT necessities of Nephrology & Hypertension is a pragmatic, cutting-edge evaluate of the medical administration of kidney sickness and high blood pressure. Concise and authoritative, the ebook deals a constant, easy-to-follow presentation and carefully addresses high blood pressure and the complete spectrum of kidney diseases.
- Conveniently provides one sickness in line with web page
- Bulleted info protecting necessities of analysis, Differential analysis, and therapy for every illness nation
- A Pearl, and commonly, a reference for every situation
- Every part or subsection prepared in alphabetical order
- Important subspecialty concerns, together with care of pediatric, aged, diabetic, aged, diabetic, and demanding care patients
Identify, deal with, and deal with the entire variety of dermis ailments with counsel from medical Dermatology: a colour consultant to prognosis and remedy the world’s top dermatology guide. fresh formatting, effortless indexing, and extraordinary colour pictures make this an crucial resource for definitive, cutting-edge solutions on each element of dermatologic care.
"…an first-class one cease, unmarried quantity source which doubles as a mixed atlas and textbook of basic dermatology." Reviewed by glycosmedia.com, Sept 2015
- Gain trustworthy, functional, and effective counsel
- View the likeliest differential diagnoses for any physique region
- Diagnose and deal with different sufferer populations
- Treat sufferers who've been touring abroad
- Expert seek advice booklet model incorporated with purchase
regarding the diagnoses and remedy of each dermatologic affliction you are going to stumble upon.
with an updated DDx Mannequin online.
with increased insurance of sufferers with dermis of colour.
with new insurance of tropical diseases.
. This enhanced publication experience permits you to seek all the textual content, photos, dermatologic formulary, Differential analysis (DDx) model, and masses extra from the booklet on various units.
- Make swift, convinced judgements on prognosis and treatment
- Apply the latest advancements in prognosis and remedy
- Prescribe potent dermatologic treatment
- Quickly entry very important, up to date information
by way of evaluating your scientific findings to over 1,000 of the best quality colour images―including enormous quantities of unique, never-before-published photographs―depicting nearly any pores and skin situation.
thanks to thorough updates all through together with an in depth part at the administration of zits, eczema, and psoriasis in addition to accelerated insurance of arthropod sickness.
with an accelerated formulary to the main customary medicines; precise information at the use of antibiotics; and the inclusion of the newest drug treatments.
from new tables all through summarizing "need to grasp" diagnostic and healing proof.
By John G. Meechan
This is often an authoritative and useful attention of the clinician''s tasks as they relate to surgical procedure within the daily perform of dentistry. that includes surgical rules, proper pharmacology, and many of the kinds of surgical procedure undertaken in medical perform, this publication is logically based, easy-to-read, well-illustrated, and loaded with sensible information.
- Authentic photographic copy of colours, constructions, and spatial dimensions as visible within the dissection lab and at the working desk assist you enhance an realizing of the anatomy of the human body.
- Functional connections among unmarried organs, the encircling tissue, and organ platforms are clarified to organize you for the dissection lab and sensible exams.
- Clinical instances and over 1,200 photographs increase your understanding.
- Dissections illustrate the topographical anatomy in layers "from the skin in" to higher arrange you for the lab and working room.
UP-TO-THE-MINUTE assurance OF greater than 1,400 OF the medicine customarily utilized in medical PRACTICE!
Organized alphabetically via typical drug identify
- Common makes use of, mechanisms of motion, dosages (adult and pediatric), warnings/precautions, shape provided, and notes/common uncomfortable side effects
- Summaries of FDA "Black field" precautions and contraindications
- Includes an inventory of the drugs prepared by way of drug category
- Covers usual and natural brokers
- Updated to mirror new medicines, removing of gear taken off the industry, new formulations, and adjustments in licensed use of present medications
By Erika Janik
An unique creation to the quacks, snake-oil salesmen, and charlatans, who frequently had some degree
Despite rampant medical innovation in nineteenth-century the USA, conventional medication nonetheless adhered to historical therapeutic tools, subjecting sufferers to bleeding, blistering, and triggered vomiting and sweating. dealing with such horrors, many sufferers ran with open palms to burgeoning practices that promised new how one can medication their ills. Hydropaths provided remedies utilizing “healing waters” and tight wet-sheet wraps. Phineas Parkhurst Quimby experimented with magnets and attempted to exchange “bad,” diseased suggestions with “good,” fit techniques, whereas Daniel David Palmer reportedly restored a man’s listening to through knocking on his vertebrae. Lorenzo and Lydia Fowler used their palms to “read” their consumers’ heads, claiming that the topography of one’s cranium might display the intricacies of one’s personality. Lydia Pinkham packaged her Vegetable Compound and made a well-known relations company from the home made cure-all. And Samuel Thomson, rejecting conventional medication, brought quite a number natural treatments for an enormous array of woes, supplemented via the healing powers of poetry.
extraordinary as those equipment could appear, many are the precursors of today’s notions of fit dwelling. now we have the nineteenth-century perform of “medical gymnastics” to thank for today’s emphasis on typical workout, and hydropathy’s quite a few water treatments for the proposal of normal bathing and the chant to drink “eight glasses of water a day.” and lots more and plenty of the philosophy of future health brought by way of those replacement equipment is mirrored in today’s patient-centered care and holistic drugs, which takes account of the physique and spirit.
in addition, those entrepreneurial replacement healers lead the way for girls in medication. avoided via the traditionalists and longing for converts, a number of the masters of those new fields embraced the learning of girls of their equipment. a few girls, like Pinkham, have been in a position to holiday in the course of the obstacles to ladies operating to develop into scientific marketers themselves. in truth, subsequent to educating, medication attracted extra girls than the other career within the 19th century, nearly all of them in “irregular” healthiness systems.
those eccentric principles didn’t make it into smooth drugs with out a struggle, after all. As those new therapeutic tools grew in recognition, conventional medical professionals frequently viciously attacked them with cries of “quackery” and pressed felony gurus to arrest, superb, and detention center irregulars for endangering public security. still, those substitute hobbies attracted common support—from daily american citizens and the recognized alike, together with Mark Twain, Louisa may well Alcott, and common Ulysses S. Grant—with their messages of wish, self-help, and private empowerment.
even though lots of those clinical fads pale, and such a lot in their claims of magical treatments have been discredited through advances in clinical technology, a shocking variety of the theories and concepts in the back of the quackery are staples in today’s wellbeing and fitness undefined. Janik tells the colourful tales of those “quacks,” whose normally actual desire to heal contributed to shaping and effect glossy medicine.
From the Hardcover edition.
By Tao Le, Vikas Bhushan, Jeffrey Hofmann
Turn to the world’s bestselling clinical overview ebook for the main thorough and up to date USMLE practise attainable – now in complete COLOR
First relief for the USMLE Step 1 promises precisely what you must ace the examination: greater than 1200 usually validated evidence and mnemonics that offer a whole framework in your USMLE review.
- comfortably geared up via organ process and common rules
- a hundred twenty five+ full-color medical pictures built-in through the textual content
- thousands of complete colour illustrations supplement the textual content and enhance retention
- Rapid-review part for last-minute cramming
- particular test-taking options that can assist you maximize your research time • hundreds of thousands of student-recommended USMLE Step 1 assessment resources